Dementia

Ask questions, look for or share answers, resources, support, and other information.
wyrrd

Dementia

Post by wyrrd » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:49 am

This is my first post. I'm looking for suggestions on how to tend to my mother, who also is suffering from dementia. She has grown combative, paranoid, angry and cruel in her interactions with me and my sister. My sister stays with her at night and most days. I stay 2-4 days a week in an attempt to give my sister a break. Our arrangement might seem unfair but there are existing circumstances that prevent it from being any other way. I am barely holding on to my sanity and I can't even imagine the condition of my sister. I have tried to get her to attend a local support group but she is hesitant. I'm not sure why. It is so difficult to watch our mother turn into someone we don't even know. If anyone has suggestions, please post them...Thank You

sherryfd0823

Re: Dementia

Post by sherryfd0823 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:24 am

Good morning,
In response to your comments, I am facing the exact same situation with my poor sweet mommy. She started going down hill with her memory and misplacing things in her home, it was just overwhelming and still is. I have 4 sisters who do not get along with each other, I am so ashamed of them. It seems everything is left up to me but this is too much emotionally on me and I need help with mom.
I do not know how families could be so selfish and distant at a time like this. I am not at all like my siblings, and never will be. I just asked one of my sisters to share the load by taking mom to dr visits so I could get a break. She is willing to do so but there is so much jealousy with all of them and I know there will be issues soon. I don't care, all I want is to keep mom at home as long as I can. If I have to pay for help to keep her at home I will do what I can possibly do and will not rely on the others in my family.
This is my first post and hope to find peace by sharing that we are both going thru the same, it seems. Patience is what we need during this painful period in our lives.. Good luck! God Bless us all!!